A Tribute to Buck
The following poem was written by Esther Birdsall Darling. She wrote extensively about Alexander “Scotty” Allan, famous Nome dog musher and dog breeder. Perhaps Scotty’s most famous dog was his lead dog Baldy of Nome, together they won the famous Nome to Candle Sweepstakes sled dog race. When Baldy retired from racing, he went to live with Esther in California. This poem was written at the time of Baldy’s death and it is written as though the author is Baldy himself.
The gray wolf’s blood in my pulse beats slow
And the fire in my veins is burning low
As I doze in the peace of a golden day
To dream of a white land far away
My eyes grow dim but I seem to see
The wastes where the Arctic winds blow free
I know the silence of death-cold calm
Though I rest in the shade of a rustling palm
And sometimes I start when I think I hear
The peel of the bells and the mighty cheer
That mark the end of the killing pace
As we cross the line in the Sweepstakes race
We have sped far out on the ice and snow
Where the feet of weaklings may never go
The way was hard but the joy was deep
For my master’s pride was a thing to keep
They say when the breath of a dog is done
That he and the clay of his grave are one
A lie I say, for there is no end
So long as he lives in the heart of a friend
So long as a gentle act you find
Is done for his sake to the beast of his kind
So long as the tales of his love are read
His name shall endure and he is not dead
You have rendered a tribute to all dogs true
So Baldy of Nome sends his thanks to you
This poem is being reproduced here to commemorate the death of our wonderful dog-friend BUCK - on November 13, 2009. We didn’t know that Buck’s mother Bubsie was even pregnant 13 years ago when he was born. Bubsie was a registered Canadian Eskimo Dog and we just assume that his father was one of our male Eskimo Dogs. Right from the beginning Buck had a unique personality and character, he was definitely his own dog….you couldn’t help but love him. He was a wonderful friend and companion and all of our family travelled many miles over the trails with Buck somewhere close by. Buck was a horrible sled dog, he refused to pull and he fought the harness until it was removed….Buck ran free his whole life, he did things his way, he had some close calls but he always came through…we will miss him. Thank you Buck for being our friend.
No comments:
Post a Comment